Liqui-Cel® Membrane Contactors have a broad range of applications in the beverage industry. They have been used for over 20 years to add and remove gasses from a variety of liquids, including alcohol, juices, soft drinks and many others. Each contactor housing is packed with a unique Hollow Fiber membrane to create a device that is compact, very efficient and able to provide extreme control over gas volumes being added to or removed from a liquid. These devices are installed in-line.
Carbon Dioxide Removal
Liqui-Cel® Membrane Contactors are typically used to carbonate a liquid instead of sparging in large CO2 bubbles. The addition of carbon dioxide helps to prevent spoilage and reduce the exposure of the liquid to bacteria. Carbon dioxide can also affect taste and sparkle. For these reasons the precise control that Liqui-Cel Membrane Contactors provide is essential for beverage manufacturers.
Not only can Liqui-Cel® Contactors add CO2 at the molecular level, they are also capable of removing oxygen at the same time. Oxygen removal can help prevent negative impacts on shelf life and taste.
Liqui-Cel® Membrane Contactors are also used in wine applications to control the alcohol levels.
One of the more unique applications of Liqui-Cel® Membrane Contactors is to make juice concentrate. This is accomplished by placing a solution of brine at the lumenside (gas side) or on the inside of the Hollow Fiber. The brine and juice, which is flowing along the outside of the Hollow Fiber, now have different vapor pressures so water vapor passes from the juice flow to the brine side of the Hollow Fiber resulting in co ncentrated juice.
- TB 39: Three Kirin Breweries Use Liqui-Cel® Deasifiers for O2 and CO2 Removal from Water
- TB 45: Degassing Boiler Feed Water In China With Liqui-Cel® Membrane Contactors
- TB 59: Optimized Deaeration System for Paulaner Brewery
- TB 63: Liqui-Cel® Membrane Contactors Are Widely Used In The Soft Drink And Brewing Industries To Control Dissolved Gasses
- TB 70: Hot CIP Sanitization Procedure For Liqui-Cel® Membrane Contactors In Stainless Steel Housings
- TB 72: Chinese Chemical Plant Optimizes Water Treatment By Replacing Double Pass RO With A Single Pass RO And Liqui-Cel® Contactor System
- Intro to Membrane Contactors
- Boiler Feed Water Degasification Using Membrane Contactors—New Methods For Optimized Performance
- Advances In Gas Control Technology In The Brewery
- Liquid-Liquid Extraction Of Aroma Compounds With Hollow Fiber Contactor
- Osmotic Distillation For Juice Concentration
- CO2 Injection At A Pepsi Plant
- Mansfield Brewery Uses Liqui-Cel® Membrane Contactors To Nitrogenate Beer
To learn even more about our experience in the beverage industry visit our web site at www.liqui-cel.com.